Quotes from Chapter III: Ten Against Grendel of Robert Nye’s Beowulf: A New Telling. Be sure to catch the first and second chapter’s highlights if you haven’t already.
I’ve also got a pexels collection where you can check out all the photos (and more) that I’ve gathered for this chapter’s moodboard.
Page numbers listed herein may not match the page numbers in yours.
- 14: Night fell. There was no moon, and the stars looked sparse and adrift in the punished sky.
- 14: There was only the sound to go by―the foul breath squeaking in little gasps, the noise in his throat like the splintery crunching of bones. The rats could not see him and ran over his scales in the dark. Grendel let them go. He was hungry for more than rats.
- 15: The hall was a confusion of swords and blood, the brave lords hurling themselves at Grendel, and the fiend snatching them up in his claws and snapping their backs as if they were no more than than toys. Man after man went into those terrible jaws, and still Grendel came on, unsatisfied, his green eyes glaring, his slimy skin not even scratched by the hacking axes. It was as if the night itself had poured into hall Heorot, killing and eating mere men, the creatures of day. Torches went out as Grendel came past them. Soon the hall was pitch black, and the only sound the crunching and munching of bones and flesh.
- 16: [Wealtheow’s] blue cloak covered [Hrothgar] like a wing.
“HFE, thank you for creating and sharing so much art and writing for free. How can we help turn your passion and skills into a full-time gig?”
I’m glad you asked!
If you can give me a one-time tip, head over to ko-fi. I’ve also got emotes and icons you can buy.
If you can commit to a monthly tip, you can set that up via twitch or patreon. Twitch also lets you set up alternate payment schedules: every three months and every six months. Ko-fi lets you set up monthly payments now, too!
You can also buy some characters and critters I’ve designed on toyhouse.
And if you have no money to spare (understandable), one way you can help me out is by commenting and using as many share buttons as possible. Commenting gives me feedback on what works y’all are passionate about. Sharing helps expose my works to new people. The bigger my audience grows, the more audience members with money will encounter my works.
Thank you for taking time to read this. I hope you enjoy what you’ve found here.
- Homework (links in this piece):
- HFE productions.
- pexels collection ― Robert Nye’s Beowulf: A New Telling.
- spotify playlist for this book.
- youtube playlist for this book.
- Miracle of Sound ― I Am the Night.
- JT Music:
- Tomi Adeyemi ― Children of Blood and Bone.
- CDC ― Plague Ecology and Transmission.
- Night by Elie Wiesel.
- HFE productions.
2 thoughts on “Highlighting Robert Nye’s Beowulf: A New Telling Chapter III”