Another lesson from Professor Benben Beezelwax’s lecture series for first-year students at the Hiverville College of Natural Sciences.
Second lesson: fairy curses.
Beezelwax (she/her): Before we get into today’s lesson, I want to remind everyone that I won’t be available for the next week and a half. I’ll be home celebrating Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah with my sisters and my partner. Do let your professors know if you also celebrate these holidays, they’ll be more than happy to accommodate you. And if they’re not, just tell them to think about what happened last year. They’ll know exactly what you mean.
Beezelwax: Just like people, fairies can also become unhealthy. We call these illnesses “curses”. Here is a breakdown of the five basic curses you’ll encounter as a fairyologist.
- Burn: fairies lose one-eighth stamina every turn in addition to having their physical and mystical offenses halved. Cured when hit with a cold spell or with appropriate items and spells. Heat fairies cannot be burned, but they doubly vulnerable to being stunned.
- Freeze: makes a fairy unable to cast spells, use items, flee or otherwise take action. Cured when hit with a heat spell or with appropriate items or spells. Cold fairies cannot be frozen, but they are doubly vulnerable to being burned.
- Stun: makes a fairy unable to cast spells 25% of the time, in addition to halving its speed. Cured with appropriate items or spells. Plasma faries cannot be stunned, but they are doubly vulnerable to being frozen.
- Infested: causes one-eighth of a fairy’s stamina to be drained per minute, restoring the infester’s stamina. Cured with appropriate spells, or when the infested fairy faints or flees the battle.
- Sleep: prevents a fairy from casting spells, using items, or otherwise taking action. Cured with appropriate spells, items, upon fainting, or in three-to-five minutes after a fairy falls asleep.
Beezelwax: In addition to these four curses―which fairyologists call “major curses”―other curses can be inflicted upon a fairy. Unlike major curses, the following curses―likewise called “minor curses” by me and my peers―can be inflicted in conjunction with each other and one major curse.
- Nerfed: at least one of a fairy’s stats has been lowered. Cured with appropriate items, spells, or when the nerfed fairy returns to a fairy ring, faints, or flees the battle.
- Enthralled: prevents a fairy from casting spells half the time. Cured with appropriate items, spells, or when the enthralled fairy returns to a fairy ring, faints, or flees the battle.
- Skipped: a fairy cannot cast spells, use items, or otherwise take action for one minute. Cured one minute after a fairy becomes skipped or by using appropriate spells.
- Drowsy: a fairy falls asleep in two minutes. Cured via returning to a fairy ring, using appropriate spells, fleeing battle, or by sleeping.
- Humiliated: prevents a fairy from using the same spell twice in a row. Also prevents the use of multi-turn spells. Cured in three-to-five minutes after becoming humiliated, using appropriate spells, or by fleeing battle.
- Outraged: prevents a fairy from fleeing battle, returning to a fairy ring, using items, and noncombative spells. Cured in three-to-five minutes after becoming outraged, or by using appropriate spells.
- Applauded: prevents a fairy from fleeing battle, returning to a fairy ring, using items, and using a different spell than the one it last used when it was applauded. Cured in three-to-five minutes after becoming Applauded or by using appropriate spells.
- Fumbled: prevents a fairy from using items. Cured using appropriate spells, returning to a fairy ring, or fleeing battle.
- Confused: causes the fairy to hurt itself half the time. Cured in 2-5 turns after becoming confused, using appropriate items, returning to a fairy ring, or fleeing battle.
Beezelwax: Knowing what curses do and how to cure them is integral to a fairyologist’s education. Great fairyologists not only learn from fairies, we help them, just as they help and learn from us.
“HFE, thank you for creating and sharing so much art and writing for free. How can we help turn your passion and skills into a full-time gig?”
I’m glad you asked!
If you can commit to a monthly tip, you can set that up via twitch or patreon. Twitch also lets you set up alternate payment schedules: every three months and every six months. Ko-fi lets you set up monthly payments now, too!
And if you have no money to spare (understandable), one way you can help me out is by commenting and using as many share buttons as possible. Commenting gives me feedback on what works y’all are passionate about. Sharing helps expose my works to new people. The bigger my audience grows, the more audience members with money will encounter my works.
Thank you for taking time to read this. I hope you enjoy what you’ve found here.