Eury (they/them) is a queer gaming streamer and artist. They recently participated in the fundraiser for my new streaming computer! I asked them about themself and their content, as well as content they’ve been enjoying recently. You can check out Eury at the links at the end of the interview.
- What queer terminology do you use for yourself publicly? Do not feel pressured to come out as anything in your answer. Please only disclose whatever you’re comfortable with.
- It’s me, Eury! I’m nonbinary and use they/them pronouns. In terms of my relationships with others, I’m demisexual, polyamorous, and bisexual.
- What non-queer demographic terminology do you use for yourself? Again, please only disclose whatever you’re comfortable with.
- People have started calling me Eury in real life and I think that’s neat. I’m of Lithuanian-Jewish descent but grew up white American with some extra swear words and cultural beliefs.
- After five years in the commercial food industry I prefer the word “cook” rather than “chef” because it describes the lack of agency or respectability more accurately.
- What projects are you involved in?
- My partner Hachiko and I run a 3D printing store [Cloudstone Curios] in which I design the models and maintain the printers. I’m constantly surprised at how much people like the monarch butterfly wing shoelace charms, which I made referencing a public domain photo. We both stream on Twitch with our friend Lykios as well. Right now we’re prepping and fundraising for a move out of state to Georgia, which is a hit to my online presence lately. I also cook a lot of gluten free food for my partner, which could be considered a sort of ongoing project.
- What non-creative hobbies do you enjoy?
- Most of my video game playing happens on stream unless I’m researching a new game, but before that I hadn’t played much in years. Management sims like Dwarf Fortress, creative games like GMod or Planet Coaster, and sometimes a multiplayer shooter in the vein of TF2 or War Thunder.
- I also keep an eye out for manga like Dungeon Meshi or Heaven’s Design Team, but navigating the medium to avoid problematic work is a struggle.
- I’d love to get back into TTRPGs and roleplaying, but I’m lacking in time and other players.
- What does the queer community needs to do better about understanding, accepting, and supporting?
- We’re chiefly a political alliance due to the way our institutions treat us, despite the fact that the community itself is great for connecting people with similar experiences. Before lashing out at someone in the community, consider whether you’re holding them accountable for their actions or attacking an identity you don’t understand. I think the best use of our resources is generally to punch up.
- What are you excited about going forward? Can be anything from creative projects, personal or professional milestones, etc.
- Honestly, I never thought I’d make it this far. It’s already incredible to have a place to live in safety with a partner and friends that treat me with kindness. I’m excited to continue breaking free of meaningless obligations like my day job and spend more time and energy on the people I love. Hopefully our move will be a big step in that direction.
- Are there any pets or plants in your life?
- I have three cats!
- Wampus – We found her, a Siamese, screaming under a car outside our apartment. We were about to leave for our anniversary date, but decided to take her inside as our first cat. She has a very strange, skittish personality and loves rubbing her face on my beard and prancing around in the dry bathtub.
- Himbo – Another Siamese, a TNR that we were contacted about because he was too soft to survive on the street. He wants nothing more than to touch Wampus with his paw, but she hates him being anywhere near her. Nowadays he spends most of his time playing with Scraggles or sleeping somewhere out of the kitten’s reach, but he does still make time to harass Wampus.
- Scraggles – The smallest one, a longhair tortoiseshell, though she graduated recently from the name Scrawny Scraggles. Her mother was hit by a car in our neighborhood and she was the only one left in the litter. She loves to play in cardboard boxes and pounce on hands. There’s a strange intelligence to the way she communicates what she wants, and she’s already established separate words for food, water, and litter box. One day she’ll graduate to Buff Scraggles.
- What content / content creators have you been enjoying recently? This could be anything from books, to podcasts, to tutorial videos, etc. Anything you want other people to know about.
- Besides Twitch streams like DoGscast and HFE, I always enjoy some Historia Civilis on YouTube. LGR is an inspiration for the amount of videos he manages to get out, and (respectfully) a great sleep aid. I’ve also been watching Star Trek DS9 for the first time, but I hear the first season is a bit weaker than the rest.
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- I can keep going. There have been plenty of times that I wanted to give up, that I thought I wasn’t skilled or disciplined enough to make it, but I’ve been able to push through every time and somehow survive. Now I’ve come to a much better place. I’m proud of that.
Eury can be found on Twitter and Twitch.
One thought on “Interview with Eury”