From a thread I did a while back.
Anti self-dx really let (often):
- perisex allocishet binary male
- upper middle class
people be the sole arbiters of who is and who isn’t neurodivergent / disabled.
Mm-hmm that checks out /sarcasm.
The more I learn from neurodivergent people, especially autistic people, the more I’ve learned that the way I experience the world matches up a lot more with them than with neurotypical people.
But I don’t see the point in obtaining a diagnosis because:
- Professionals gender autism into “girl” autism and “boy” autism, and I don’t need binary cis people trying to figure out “which one” I am.
- I don’t need “official” support. I have the tools I need to cope with sensory issues. And my life is fairly socialization free.
What i do need the medical establishment for is gender-affirming healthcare, however…
- There’s so many horror stories about how hard it is for autistic people to get gender-affirming healthcare. If I’m ever in a position to be able to get gender-affirming healthcare, I’m not jeopardizing that due to medical professionals’ well-established ableism.
- I have medical trauma that I’d prefer not to ignite, especially for something noncritical.
- I’m an adult, and I’ve seen adult autistics report being asked such “amazing” questions as:
- Have you ever had sex before?
- Can you make a frowny face?
Autism is still very much seen as a “little boy’s disease”. “Professionals” have no clue what they’re doing. And even if that changes, I still should not be forced to “prove” I’m autistic. Nobody else should either. I know myself better than anybody else, and I know that I’m autistic.
“HFE, thank you for creating and sharing so much art and writing for free. How can we help turn your passion and skills into a full-time gig?”
I’m glad you asked!
If you can commit to a monthly tip, you can set that up via twitch or patreon. Twitch also lets you set up alternate payment schedules: every three months and every six months. Ko-fi lets you set up monthly payments now, too!
And if you have no money to spare (understandable), one way you can help me out is by commenting and using as many share buttons as possible. Commenting gives me feedback on what works y’all are passionate about. Sharing helps expose my works to new people. The bigger my audience grows, the more audience members with money will encounter my works.
Thank you for taking time to read this. I hope you enjoy what you’ve found here.